This week on Throwback Thursday’s Art Rewind, it’s Halloween 1991, when the actual “Perfect Storm” of book and movie fame was moving across the northeast U.S. But THIS Halloween, impress your friends with your trivia chops, relive your glory days, or just find out what the heck happened in the world of art in 1991. And tune in to The Silence of the Lambs starring Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins on Thursday, October 30th at 8 ET/5 PT.
And Now Your 1991 Art Rewind…
1. Nirvana records a live performance at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle on October 31. It is the only Nirvana show ever recorded in 16mm, which matters..if you’re a superfan.
2. Are You Afraid of the Dark? premieres on Nickelodeon. The show centered on a group of teens who told each other scary stories that played out on screen for the viewer at home.
3. It’s a safe bet that lots of Halloween revelers dressed in military-style jackets and sunglasses and said, “I’ll be back” in their best Ahh-nold voices. Terminator 2 was released in July.
4. Michelle Pfeiffer wears not one, but six different costumes in the October issue of Vogue. Legendary photographer Herb Ritts captured Ms. Pfeiffer as famous characters like Joan of Arc, Eliza Dolittle, and Laurence from Noel Coward’s Private Lives. See more at The Film Experience.
5. Mariah Carey was queen of the airwaves and making everyone feel E-MO-TIONS (with her song, Emotions). We’re not sure “scared” was one of the emotions she meant, but we’ve always felt there was paranormal influence getting her to those high notes.